Clear all

Internship Program (Escuelas prácticas)

5 Replies
5 Users
6 Likes
Edber Galindo
Replies: 1
Topic starter

An internship is an opportunity offered by an employer to potential employees, called interns, to work at a firm for a fixed period of time (with the mentoring of teachers). Interns are usually undergraduates students, most internships last between a month and three months. At the end, the students have to report the activities and projects developed in plant ...
What is your experiences in this kind of program?
How did this program contribute to the training of students?

Replied : 30/04/2020 12:05 pm
Javier Lopez

My experience started at the beginning of the year when I started my internship at the John Deere loader plant in Ramos Arizpe, Coah in the implementation of a project in a loader production line with the aim of improving the quality of the final product and guaranteeing a greater safety for operators. In order to achieve this, it was necessary to understand the entire process to analyze the areas of opportunity that could be improved, if they were efficient and what range of improvement was to be obtained.
For many students, this opportunity is our first approach to a company, so we don't know what to expect at the beginning. It is very interesting to see how the organization is divided by areas; the area of ​​finance, manufacturing, quality, security, etc. and that each of them has a specific purpose, however, all of them are related to each other and that there must be communication between them to deal with certain issues.

I consider these opportunities to be of great importance in student training and help us to be prepared for when we graduate from university. In school we learn theoretical topics, we do laboratory practices and more interesting things, but most of them are not compared to the things seen in the industry, however all the things seen in school prepare us to be able to solve the challenges that we face in the company. So I think that internships are the place where we put into practice the skills acquired in school. It is actually very rewarding when engineers realize that you have a good understanding of the technicalities and issues that are seen in the industry or when they realize that you know how to use certain software, or when you come up with any ideas that can help solve a problem. And internships are also useful for that, so that one as a student realizes that we have the basic and necessary knowledge to enter a company. 

It is a great opportunity to apply the knowledge acquired in school!!

Replied : 05/05/2020 9:52 am
Diego Munoz

I have been in this type of program for 2 years, first I was at Delphi Centec I, my project was based on work standardization and workload balance, this was my first job inside an industry. In my second year I was hired as Manufacturing machining Intern at John Deere Saltillo, where I developed a Plan For Every Part (PFEP) for all the machined products (about 145), this project was related to cost engineering, and cost control. Also in the later plant I implement a new software for all the machining tools of John Deere Saltillo, which is called TDM, this software standardized all the process and also gives total control of the tools.

This type of program gives you the opportunity to be hired and play a roll as an engineer without the responsibilities of a real work, also you have a mentor inside the school and another inside the plant, whom helps you to enroll with you new work and different environment. Its a powerful tool of training, now that I am almost to finish my degree I think I can develop many jobs as an engineer also develop professionally in all work environments.

Replied : 07/05/2020 1:08 pm
Anayanzy Hernández Jaramillo

My experience began about a year ago when I started my intership in General Motors in the Stamping area with the aim of implementing the TIP system, Throughput Improvement Process, and later the creation of an inventory simulation system that would allow the visualization of the state in which was the inventory of the area and how that could affect the rest of the areas of the plant.
This program allowed me not only to obtain experience in the area before my graduation, but also gave us the support of a teacher who monitored and guided us during the project, this presenting the opportunity to develop and apply the knowledge acquired at the school in a new environment and with the necessary guidance from both the company and the university.

It helps us to visualize what the work environment is like and shows us what our responsibilities could be in the very near future, it allows us to grow not only as students but also as future professionals.
Personally, it helped me develop in many aspects related to the social area, meeting people, presenting ideas, developing projects and carrying them out. These are things that you learn during this program and every day in it means a new experience that can help you in in your work and personal life.

Replied : 08/05/2020 2:09 pm
Gregorio Morales

My intership with Nemak technically started June of last year at their Engenius Program. This program lasts 5 weeks and consist of developing a high impact project previously selected by the Plant Project Leader, this year Saltillos Plant Project consisted on the analysis of the die coating on their Rotacast Funding Machines, they wished to eliminate some of the downtime caused by the CO2 Cleaning Process of the die coating on the mold. The solution archived was a coating station in which the operator can disassemble the mold and coat at the proper angle and faster. This change of technique was tested during 72 hours, and at the end the mold did not requiered any CO2 Cleaning and the quality of the pieces was improved.

After the end of the program, I had a interview to continue working there, but in another department (Lean Manufacturing). This new period of intership start on September 2019 and ended on March 2019 because COVID-19. During 6 months I learned and adquiered a handfull of skills, knowledge and habilities that are not covered by a Mechatronic Student. This help me to understand the different rolls that an engineer can cover in the industry. Some of the projects that I was involved were:

- Forkift Monitoring and Optimization

- Head and Block Plants Standardized Work Charts

- 5s's Induction Courses 

During almost a year working at Nemak, they help me adapt to their environment and ethics. As well as how to interact with different departments and learn to communicate the right way appling my personal habilities and capacities as a student, engineer and worker. 

Replied : 08/05/2020 6:25 pm
Share: